1. How many medals did India win at the 23rd edition of the Asian Athletics Championship?
2. The Indian Army recently began online registration of women for recruitment into which field for the first time?
a) Air Defence
b) Education Corps
c) Engineer Corps
d) Military Police
3. India recently pushed which continent’s right to a permanent seat in the UN Security Council?
c) South America
4. Which bank sold its entire stake in NHB, Nabard to the Union Government?
5. Which country recently became the world’s first to launch malaria vaccine?
6. Who has been honoured with the Master Deenanath Mangeshkar Lifetime Award 2019?
a) Salim Khan
c) Shabana Azmi
d) Javed Akhtar
7. This yesteryear actress was conferred with the Master Deenanath Mangeshkar Special Award 2019?
a) Hema Malini
c) Waheeda Rehman
d) Shabana Azmi
8. The United Nations recently signed a joint framework aimed at strengthening partnership in counter-terrorism efforts with which group of countries?
a) United Arab Emirates
b) European Union
9. Which high court lifted the ban on Chinese short-video app ‘TikTok’?
a) Rajasthan High Court
b) Bombay High Court
c) Madras High Court
d) Delhi High Court
10. When the World Malaria Day is celebrated every year?
a) 24 April
b) 25 April
c) 26 April
d) 27 April
1. (d) 17
The 23rd edition of the Asian Athletics Championship concluded in Doha, Qatar on April 24, 2019. India with 17 medals (3 Gold, 7 silver and 7 bronze) finished fourth in the tournament. The four-day event saw participation from 63 nations across the world. Bahrain topped the tally with 11 gold, 7 silver and 4 bronze, followed by China with 10 gold, 13 silver, 7 bronze and then Japan with 5 gold, 4 silver, 9 bronze.
2. (d) Military Police
In a first, the Indian Army on April 25, 2019 began online registration of women for recruitment as soldiers into the military police. The recruitment for ‘Soldier General Duty (Women Military Police)’ was mooted by the Army Chief General Bipin Rawat soon after he took over the post. The approval for the creation of the post came recently by the Defence Ministry.
3. (b) Africa
India recently stressed upon Africa’s right to representation among the ranks of the permanent members of the UN Security Council. The move aims to bring in a sense of urgency to the long-stalled reform process of the UNSC.
4. (c) RBI
The Reserve Bank of India has sold its entire stake in the National Housing Bank (NHB) and the National Bank for Agriculture & Rural Development (Nabard) to the Union Government for Rs 1,450 crore and Rs 20 crore, respectively. The move would now make these organisations fully government-owned.
5. (a) Malawi
Malawi launched the world’s first malaria vaccine in a landmark pilot programme. The country is the first of three in Africa in which the vaccine, known as RTS,S, will be made available to children up to 2 years of age; Ghana and Kenya will introduce the vaccine later.
6. (a) Salim Khan
Actor, producer and screenwriter Salim Khan, who is also the father of superstar Salman Khan, was honoured with the Master Deenanath Mangeshkar Lifetime Award.
7. (b) Helen
Popular scriptwriter Salim Khan, national award-winning filmmaker Madhur Bhandarkar and one of the finest dancing divas of yesteryears, Helen were honoured with the prestigious Master Deenanath Mangeshkar Award at a ceremony in Mumbai on April 24, 2019.
8. (b) European Union
The United Nations and the European Union (EU) on April 24, 2019 signed a joint framework aimed at strengthening partnership in counter-terrorism efforts. The framework was enacted on the occasion of the second edition of EU-UN Leader’s Dialogue on Counter-Terrorism that was held in New York.
9. (c) Madras High Court
The Madras high court on April 24, 2019 lifted the ban on Chinese short-video app ‘TikTok’, three weeks after it had asked the Government to prohibit further downloads of the popular application on Google and Apple app stores.
10. (b) 25 April
The World Malaria Day is an international observance commemorated every year on 25 April and recognizes global efforts to control malaria. It is one of eight official global public health campaigns currently marked by the World Health Organization (WHO).